Services for the Mining Industry
LPI provides consulting for the manufacturing of heavy equipment used in mining operations.
- Heat treatment process improvement—optimization of cycles, deviations, reduced cycle options
- Evaluation and monitoring of welding repair and structural procedures—ASME BPVC Section IX, AWS D1.1, API RP 577 & 582, ISO standards
- Technical audits of foundries, forges and fabrication shops
- Casting and forging process reviews; solidification process reviews—MAGMA, SOLIDCAST; etc.
- Inspection Test & Plan (ITP) evaluations
- Alloy selection
- Failure analysis and fitness-for-service for castings, forgings and fabrications
- Selected Recent Projects – Mining Equipment
- China: Luoyang—in situ metallography of gears
- México & Chile: Root cause analysis of fabricated gears
- Denmark: Copenhagen—Training in failure analysis
Project Example: Ball Mill Gear
- Objective: Determine root cause of cracking
- Activities and Results
- Performed MT, visual inspection, stereo “in-situ” microscopy, chemical analysis, SEM, HB profile
- SEM determined that intergranular cracking nucleated during the solidification process
- Mode of Failure: Low cycle / High strength Fatigue.
- Crack propagated out of a casting discontinuity (gas porosity).
- Recommended Solutions
- Smooth out by grinding the affected zone and install remotely controlled strain gauges to evaluate crack propagation.
- Metal stitching the crack
For more information please contact Ivo Botto at 484-547-6965, or via email email@example.com.